Wednesday, March 3, 2010

being

I have finished reading the Kite Runner. I knew the book was sad, haven't seen the movie, but did see movies from Iran and they had very similar spirit in them. I liked this book very much, it is an excellent story and it made me cry several times. It also made me remember my old childhood sins. It made me feel good too, I guess as I felt that I understood the narrator, that I felt for him, that his story and his humanity spoke to me.

On Monday I worked on some data and decided to listen to radio show I've partially missed the Saturday before, on This American Life. I recommend this show to everyone. I came across an episode from a few weeks back, half of it was a story of chimp Lucy who was raised up among people from baby age, could use sign language, make tea, showed emotions and was completely attached to humans. It was one of those stories about how human desire to understand and study the rest of the world makes us to interfere too much, to screw thing us really bad. The story of Lucy is is tragic, extremely moving and touched the bottom of my heart, so to speak. I listened to it again today, not sure why.
http://audio.wnyc.org/radiolab_podcast/radiolab_podcast702lucy.mp3

I think it calmed me down. I guess it made me put my feet on the ground and let go of my small silly angers. I just wanted to share this story, it is not long. It is deep. I found the story beautiful.
Here are some pictures http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/.

Lucy from Radiolab on Vimeo.


I have also continued with baking projects from CJBB (crazy Jewess bread bible). Since there was a slow-cooker version of a french onion soup being ready on Sunday, I had to make baguettes to go with, haven't I?









They took 2 days to make. Although pretty good, it's not gonna become a regular recipe in my kitchen.
This poppy seed filled babovka on the other hand, that was a different story :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment