Saturday, February 13, 2010

becoming American

After quite positive experience with making the pretzels it was easy to decide the next project, bagels. Since it is only me and my housemate these days, I went for a half-recipe of the great Jewess and followed the recipe quite to the point, only adjusting my rising times accordingly. And I substituted half of the white flour with whole wheat. After the dough is made, one divides it into pieces and tolls them into balls. When the gluten relaxes, the easiest way to form the bagel shape is to push a hole through the balls with your finger and stretch the opening. 
 
The bagels get boiled in soda-sugar water for a minute per side 
 
and then rolled in seeds (and should be glazed, which is a step I omitted).
 
The baking is a bit strange, it ends by turning the oven off and then by leaving the doors opened for the last 5 minutes, which is not explained, but I did as asked and the bagels turned pretty good. 
 
Pretty good! :)

Well, to continue in my naturalization and also since I saw in the morning Baking with Julia where they were making muffins, I got curious whether baking my signature babovka in muffin shape would be any good. Also, by scaling down the recipe one does not feel so guilty, right? I made 1/2 coconut babovka batter with roasted walnuts and filled 9 muffin tins, it could have been easily been 10, but I got into licking the spoon too soon :)
 
These are the survivors next morning...just before my breakfast.

2 comments: